The Ambassadors of Compassion (AOC) Program revolves around giving youth the opportunity to personally examine and "experience" life-ready principles in a small group discussion setting with other youth led by a Team Coach. Weekly Calls to Action in a personal student journal have been specifically designed to help youth discover who they are, help them develop the skills to take responsibility for their own lives, and challenge them to begin taking the actual steps necessary to start working toward achieving their goals and dreams. AOC encourages and empowers youth for a successful future and helps them discover their life's purpose.
All students take a pre and post resiliency assessment survey that measures the effectiveness and the growth of students through a statistically sound and research-based approach to help understand the strengths that are related to long-term resiliency of youth.
Ambassadors of Compassion currently has two programs, R.I.S.E. for grades 8 or 9 and L.I.F.E. for high school. Both programs are built upon the age-old principles that every youth needs to master in order to lead a successful and fulfilling life. Both R.I.S.E. and L.I.F.E. are a coach-led, 12-session, interactive measured program that equips youth with resiliency, hope, and the personal leadership skills to navigate and succeed through life's inevitable challenges by imparting the critical life principles that are essential for youth to reach their full potential. As part of the program, all students are asked to engage in both a group service project and an individual service project.
The R.I.S.E. Principles:
- R - RESPONSIBILITY (Exploring the characteristics of a responsible person and the need to take ownership of one's thoughts and actions to help accomplish one's goals and dreams in life)
- I - INITIATIVE (Understanding that initiative is an action step based on one's decisions that results in a multitude of lasting benefits, including strong and healthy relationships and reaching one's greatness in life)
- S - SERVICE (Discovering the importance of serving others and also serving the needs in the community)
- E - EXPECTATIONS (Examining the power of expectations in one's relationships and in one's goals and dreams, and distinguishing and evaluating the difference between realistic and unrealistic expectations and knowing how to manage them)
The L.I.F.E. Principles:
- L - LABOR (Understanding the role that labor plays in our lives, recognizing the needs of others and the needs within our community, and taking action to help)
- I - INFLUENCE (Recognizing that we are influenced both positively and negatively by the culture and people around us, and acknowledging that we ourselves influence others)
- F - FORGIVENESS (Discovering that forgiveness is a process, and understanding and experiencing the freedom and power that comes from forgiving others, forgiving ourselves, and also asking for forgiveness when we offend others)
- E – EXPERIENCES (Exploring the importance of building on our life experiences and those of others, and facing and letting go of any negative experiences in order to help us reach our goals and dreams and full potential in life)
Each session begins with a summary statement regarding the session's topic and then proceeds to Ask Yourself questions where students examine the topic by personally answering topic-related questions. Next are the Think About This statements for group discussion regarding character, competencies, and leadership knowledge. Then comes Notable Quotes that examine what other people have to say about the topic, and finally, Calls to Action for individual student engagement for life applications.
"An Ambassador of Compassion is not just a title but a way of life."
Kayon BrantleyGrew up in a home without a mom or dad and without positive role models, Ambassador of Compassion, Winner of the 2012 Ambassadors of Compassion Leadership Award for Perseverance
"Nothing significant happens without effective leadership. Ambassadors of Compassion builds leaders. That's why I'm involved."
Spencer TillmanFox Sports, Captain of the Super Bowl XXIV Champion San Francisco 49ers, Ambassador of Compassion
© 2017 — Ambassadors of Compassion